The lights went out in the infovark burrow this morning. It happens occasionally. We think it’s due to nearby construction work.
Fortunately, our equipment isn’t affected by short term outages. We’ve got a UPS in place for our server and network equipment. Gordon and I do all of our programming on laptops, which have built-in power redundancy through their batteries.
So the lights went out, but the coding went on.
I did have a brief moment of panic. I realized that I hadn’t actually tested the UPS. Part of disaster preparedness is making sure that your back-up equipment is functioning properly and that you can implement your recovery procedures successfully. I’d neglected that part, but our behemoth server kept its cooling turbines humming the whole time. We just passed a real-world test with flying colors.